And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith. ~Matthew 21:22
There is a lot more negativity today than ever before. Is there truth in that statement? Your answer is really the narrative or perspective you choose to view life. It’s in your way of thinking, your state of mind.
A negative view can add unnecessary stress and hold you back from reaching your intended goals or ignore what’s really important. You can learn to turn negative thinking into positive thinking. The process is simple, but it does take time and practice because you’re actually creating a new habit after all.
Don’t expect to become an optimist overnight if you tend to have a negative outlook. But with practice, eventually your self-talk will contain less self-criticism and more self-acceptance. You will also become less critical of your environment and the world around you.
When your state of mind is generally optimistic, you’re better able to handle everyday stress in a more constructive way. That ability may contribute to the widely observed health benefits of positive thinking.
The following points are an effective way to help you focus on what’s important, and move from negative thoughts to more positivity in 5 simple steps:
- Actions speak louder than words. What you do is more significant than what you say. People can say just about anything and they do. Sometimes it’s hard to get your thoughts out there or they can be misinterpreted. Actions are rarely misinterpreted though. People are looking for leaders. If you want others to listen to you, you need to follow through and do what you say. This builds trust with others and provides a more positive environment.
- Be the example you want to see. Energy flows from your passion and can set a positive example. Don’t just talk about how important it is to help our fellow man, go out there and do something about it. Volunteer for a cause that’s important to you. As parents, make sure you hug your spouse in front of your children regularly and hug your children on a daily basis. These actions of being lovingly toward others shows that type of positive interaction is normal. Your children will see that they are truly loved through example and will pass it on to others.
- Make time for self-care. If you aren’t taking care of yourself, you can’t take care of others. It’s important to focus on a healthier lifestyle. Exercising at least three times a week has a positive effect on your mood and that reduces stress. Follow a healthy diet to fuel your mind and body. And definitely learn techniques to manage stress. Examples include daily mediation through breathing exercises, yoga stretches, and prayer.
- Embrace a creative outlet and share. Express yourself. Whether it’s through art, technology, music, writing, sports, whatever. Values and ideas can be expressed differently and that’s what creativity is about. It’s about inspiring others, helping others, offering compassion to others, learning from others, and teaching others. Sharing stories, values, experiences and ideas are beautiful. Don’t limit yourself. You can make a positive impact.
- Prayer on a regular basis. Why is this important? Because the act of prayer allows for self-reflection and a way to fulfill emotional needs. Prayer is powerful and is our way of communicating with God. It is humbling and always available to you. You will realize that a sincere prayer is the best and simplest way to accomplish something. Lastly, praying is very powerful because it fills our hearts with peace.
I encourage you to focus on what’s important and make it a habit to view the world with a positive perspective. Have faith.
Brigitte is a Media Solutions Consultant, Motivational Speaker, and a Health Advocate (Certified Health Coach). She is a two-time breast cancer survivor and living with a primary brain tumor. Brigitte strongly believes the values applied from her holistic health coach training enabled her to overcome her own health issues. Brigitte’s goal is to influence others to be a part of the solution – choose empowerment – and embrace a healthier lifestyle by focusing on the Real Things. Connect with her on Instagram @brigittecutshall. Sign up for her newsletter at www.brigittecutshall.com.