Autumn and winter are the perfect time for organic apples. I remember back in my younger days where I would always order apple brown betty or apple crumble as my dessert to end any restaurant meal. It was yummy and decadent to my palate.
Now that I’m super conscious of what I eat, I adapted this recipe so that it is still decadent to the palate, but has no refined sugars or flours.
This rich tasting, yet comforting dessert can actually be prepared with a minimum amount of fuss and you can even put it together one day earlier and just pop it into your warm oven when you’re ready to eat it!
This recipe should serve up to 8 people.
- 4 cups of fresh (organic) apple pieces skinned
- 4 tablespoons pecan flour
- 4 tablespoons almond flour or meal
- ¼ teaspoon of pure vanilla or almond extract
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- ⅔ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- ⅓ cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons almond meal or flour
- 5 tablespoons rapadura sugar
- 3 tablespoons roasted walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Preheat your oven to 400°. Gently toss all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to an 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish, lightly coated with coconut oil or your favourite cooking oil.
2. Combine all the topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Sprinkle this over the fruit Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until it is hot and bubbly. After the first 10 – 15 minutes, cover loosely with foil to avoid over browning. Cool it slightly and then serve!
Be adventurous and creative. I’ve found this recipe also works well with frozen raspberries or blueberries! Almost every alternative sweetener is great to use too! Just adjust the quantity, depending on sweetness. You will find almond and pecan flour in most natural grocery or health food stores. Coconut oil is packed in jars, is high in medium chain fatty acids and is great for all your cooking needs
Decadent tasting and a healthy indulgence. It doesn’t get much better than this!
PHOTO (cc): Flickr / FotoosVanRobin