While warmer temperatures and sunnier days have many of us breaking out the short sleeved t-shirts, it also makes us notice all the clutter and dust that has collected in our homes over the winter months. Giving your living space a good spring cleaning lets you hit the refresh button, helping you feel less mentally cluttered and ready to take on the year. It can be hard knowing where to get started, but by picking a task and just getting going you can make the most of your spring cleaning efforts. Start with these five easy ways to get started helping your surroundings to feel cleaner and more conducive to productive living.
- Change out those nasty old air vent filters. So many of us go way too long without changing our air filters, which function at their best when exchanged at MOST every 90 days to prevent unnecessary dirt and dust particles from entering your air supply. Changing your filter regularly will have you breathing better and paying lower efficiency bills.
- Go through your closet and get rid of clothes that are don’t fit or that you never wear. There is a huge need for donated clothes, so your closet can shed a few pounds while you’re helping people who may otherwise not have nice clothes to wear. Try donating somewhere that doesn’t sell what you donate so that you can directly help someone rather than letting a company peddle your leftovers.
- If you want to make a few extra dollars while getting rid of things you don’t need, try selling some of your stuff on a local Facebook page, Craigslist, or Poshmark. Poshmark is an app that helps connect your brand name clothes to people looking to buy, which is a good way to sell off things you’ll never miss.
- Cleaning your big once-or-twice-a-year things like cabinets, windows, stainless steel and major appliances is a huge step towards feeling fresh. Get these out of the way and you are probably good to go until next year. Cleaning your refrigerator can be gross, but a thorough clean includes pulling out and washing the shelves with soapy water and wiping down the surfaces. Your oven is another dirty task that needs to be done at least once a year, as the burnt residue that builds up on the walls needs to be chipped off and treated with baking soda and white vinegar before scrubbing up.
- Running your dishwasher with a special cleaning fluid and giving it a good scrub on the inside keeps your machine working its best and keeps your dishes coming out cleaner. This should probably be done more like once a month than once a year, but there is no time like the present. This is also a good practice to keep for your washing machine. Try disinfecting your machine with white vinegar and baking soda by running the machine on hot leaving it sitting for 30 minutes to an hour before draining the water and wiping the inside dry.
These are just a few ways to satiate your spring-cleaning itch, there are many other fabulous ways to jumpstart your life by working toward a fresher and tidier living space. Making sure to regularly wash your bedding can be a good way to keep your room feeling fresher. Taking this tip further, you may want to take a vacuum and run it over the crevices of your mattress, lightly sanitizing the surface and spot-cleaning any spots you find. You will amazed at the psychological benefit you feel after freshening up a forgotten space.