In our body pancreas gland beta cells are responsible for the secretion of the hormone insulin, which is extremely essential for utilization of the carbohydrates in body. If insulin is absent carbohydrates accumulate in the bloodstream in the form of glucose which collects in urine.
Ayurveda is the oldest therapy which describes remedies for diabetes. In Ayurveda diabetes categorized with Prameha (there are 20 types). Diabetes mellitus is known as Madhumeha. This is one of the four Vataja Pramehas.
Vataj Pramehas – 4 vataj Pramehas
Pittaj Pramehas – 6 pittaja pramehas
Kaphaj Pramehas – 10 kaphaja pramehas
Imbalanced diet, lack of exercise, mental stress, excessive sleep.
Increased urination frequency, excessive thirst, burning sensation of palms and soles, increased hunger, sweet taste in mouth, unhealed or delay healing, wounds, skin Infections, fatigue, general body weakness.
The Ignorance about blood sugar level can be lead to long-term complications like – heart attacks, strokes, blindness, nerve damage, amputation of Limb, impotence and Pruritus (Itching).
According to Ayurveda diet is most important factor responsible for unhealthy body and doshas imbalance. Ayurveda says all diseases start with abdominal disturbance. Thus managing diet is the first step of treatment for a diabetic patient. The diabetic diet is a normal balanced diet, with a few modifications and proper timing between breakfast, lunch and dinner. Avoid diet and life style which increase kapha dosha such as sugar, fruits contain high percentage of sugar content, carbohydrates, fats, potatoes, rice, dairy product, alcohol and smoking, daytime sleep. Use natural vegetable, low-calorie, low-fat alkaline diet,. Roasted rice and wheat are useful . Include ‘Tikta ras’ items in diet.
Yoga and exercise:
According to Ayurveda concepts healthy diet and regular exercise is important to balance the body doshas and yoga is the sciences which helps to attain higher level of physical, mental and spiritual balance. Meditation, Pranayama, Paschimottasana, Halasana, morning evening walk are useful in diabetes.
Fenu Greek, Madhuca, Butea, Curry Leaves, Tenner’s Casia
Home cure for Diabetes:
- Bitter gourd seed powder with water twice a day
- Juice bitter gourd or bitter lemon juice daily empty stomach
- Jamun or dried powder of its seed with water
- Fresh juice of amla empty stomach is useful for diabetic patient
- Amlaki powder, haldi (turmeric) powder with honey, twice daily
- Fenugreek, white pepper and turmeric powder with a glass of milk, twice daily
- Use Stevia leaves instead of sugar or any sweeteners it give the sweet taste as well as it help to reduce sugar
- Orange and lemons, green vegetables, black gram, soy, fish
- Chew 4-6 neem leaves every day in the morning empty stomach
- Put one cup of water into a copper vessel at night, and drink the water in the morning
- Vasanta Kusumakar Ras
- Triphala with Amalaki juice