2104 is right around the corner. I love a new year, a new month, a new week and a new day because each gives us the opportunity to start again – to break with what we have done to do things in a more significant way. It is like catching our breath and starting with new energy, new habits and a new focus. And for 2014, I want to introduce HeartSpace.
HeartSpace is the space we intentionally create so that our responses with and for others are loving, heartfelt and kind. This space is created by our paying attention to those around us who need our heart and a more loving and supportive response.
So what does HeartSpace look like? Here are some examples:
- HeartSpace happens when your son or daughter comes to you with a story to tell while you are busy fixing dinner, and instead of ignoring him, you turn away from the stove and connect with him as he shares his story.
- HeartSpace happens when your colleague challenges your idea and your first response is to defend it, but instead you sit quietly, allowing your colleague the time, space and attention to share his perspective.
- HeartSpace happens when you see that a person on the street seems lost and you care enough to make time to stop and ask if you can help direct them to where they are going.
- HeartSpace happens when you allow your child, friend or sibling to share their view of what they want for their life without you sharing yours, or or critiquing theirs.
- HeartSpace happens when you make time to be with nature (beach, woods, forest, etc.), notice its beauty and be aware, impressed and grateful at the same moment.
Most of the time, we are all so busy that we don’t think about making the time, or feel we have the time, to create space for anything or anyone other than ourselves. Living like this is like running in place. We spend a lot of energy but don’t really move ourselves forward. We focus on getting things done without enough of a look at how we get them done.
What if we made space for a kinder, more loving and more sincere connection with others and with our world as we start the day, week, month, and year? What could happen if we created more HeartSpace in every aspect of our lives? Maybe we would see that all of this running in place just has us rushing to our death more than connecting and loving the moments of our lives.
As we start a new year, we have the opportunity of adjusting those things that don’t serve us well in favor of newer and better traditions, habits and behaviors. We have the choice to step into our greatness by realizing that the gifts of our world show in the people, places and events. Making space for all of these expands who we are and helps us feel more connected to each of the moments of our lives. HeartSpace – it does a body, heart, mind and soul good. It is part of my New Year’s resolutions.
May your 2014 be wildly successful and be filled with HeartSpaces that change you and transform your world.