Nasya, in Ayurveda, is a nasal application of medication (usually herbal). It’s generally prescribed to open and clear the sinuses, balance kapha dosha, and to affect the function of the brain and nervous system. Here’s a simple do-it-yourself nasya treatment you can do at home to clean and lubricate the nose as well as release stress and tension.
1. Put the small saucepan of water on the stove and heat on high until boiling.
2. While the water is heating, massage the scalp and face with oil. Really scrub and move the scalp. Work the oil deeply into the tissues to loosen the muscles of the head. Also try pulling the hair (from the roots) a little bit to release tension – this should feel really good. When you massage the face, do lots of repetitive strokes. Circles over the temples, the forehead, the cheeks and jaw muscles. Do some deep strokes just under the cheekbones. Massage the sides of the nose, do a few strokes over the eyebrows, etc. The massage will help loosen everything up to be eliminated during your neti wash in step #4.
3. Once the water begins to boil, remove the pot from the heat. Have a seat at your dining table with the pan of steaming water in front of you on a pot holder or trivet. Drape the bath towel over both your head and the pot of steaming water to create a steam tent. Close your eyes and breathe in and out through your nose for three to five minutes, allowing the steam to penetrate into the nose and lungs. This will help to loosen mucous, open the pores in the skin, and allow the oils on the face and scalp to penetrate deeply into the tissues.
4. Fill your neti pot with luke-warm water, and add two pinches of sea salt. Once the salt has dissolved, use your neti pot (per the package directions) to wash out the nose.
5. Put 3 or 4 drops of warm ghee or Super Nasya Oil into the palm of one hand, and using the pinky finger of the other, apply the oil to the insides of each nostril. Go as deeply as you can without discomfort. Immediately lie down on your back for several minutes to allow the oil to penetrate into the nasal tissues (You will probably want to put the bath towel under your head to keep the oil off your floor/furniture).
This DIY nasya treatment can be done daily before your morning shower or bath.