I love me my avocados. I love them in sandwiches, guacamole and tacos. Sometimes I cut them in half, season with some olive oil, sea salt and black pepper, and eat them as it is with a spoon. For a very long time before I finally got sick of them, my favorite breakfast was avocado slices on whole-wheat toast. Thank goodness I live in California, where avocados are cheap and plentiful.
Other than their creamy-buttery taste, there are many other good reasons to eat avocados. Avocados are an amazing fruit source of Vitamin E, and is chock full of other cancer-preventing goodies like oleic acid, folate, glutathione. If you ever really need to get rid of avocados fast, you can also mash up an avocado and use as a quick and easy DIY facial mask that will leave your skin soft and smooth.
Though avocados are a common staple in my kitchen, I admit that I have been in a bit of an avocado rut. Thanks to the internet, many creative and delicious avocado recipe ideas are out there to inspire your next avocado-themed meal.
Listed below are 14 delicious ways to enjoy your avocados. Some are oldies but goodies (like the classic homemade guac), and some are totally innovative (like avocado dessert). Enjoy!
1. Mash them up for some homemade guacamole. You can’t go wrong with freshly made guacamole served with some tortilla chips or pita chips. Depending on your personal preferences, you can mash up some ripe avocados with a dash of lime, salt, minced garlic cloves, raw onion, diced tomatos and other seasonings. Check out Guacamole Recipe By Alton Brown on FoodNetwork.Com.
2. As a super-easy party appetizer on sourdough bread. I have tried this at two parties with rave reviews. It’s classy and just plain super-easy. Simply place avocado slices on toasted sourdough bread slathered with Vegannaise and chopped up onion. Add a dash of lemon juice if desired. Check out Amazing and Easy Avocado Appetizers Recipe on VegWeb.com.
3. Rolled up in sushi. You can’t make a California roll without some chunks of avocado! Go crazy with other sushi combinations involving avocado, which tastes so uncannily good with sushi rice, seaweed and a douse of soy sauce. You can start with a basic cucumber and avocado sushi recipe and see what you can add from there–such as crabmeat, salmon, even mango. Check out Cucumber and Avocado Sushi Recipe on AllRecipes.Com.
4. Stick it between two slices of bread. Spruce up any boring sandwich combination with a few slices of avoado. Grilled cheese sandwich with avocado? Turkey sandwich with avocado? Avocado makes any sandwich more fun. Check out Grilled Cheese With Smoked Turkey and Avocado Recipe on Epicurious.com.
5. Tossed in a cool summer salad. Soft avocado chunks meets crunchy summer vegetables. Tossed with some zesty summer salad, and you have the perfect dish to bring to your next summer party. Wow your friends with this unusual Strawberry Avocado Salad recipe from AllRecipes.com.
6. In a spicy tortilla soup. It’s like the deliciousness of tortilla chips and guacamole combined with the heartiness of a spicy tomato soup all mixed togther into one cheesy, spicy, mouthwatering dish. Check out Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe on FoodReference.com.
7. In a cold soup for a hot day. Just toss avocados in a blender with other ingredients and serve cold. Easy and refreshing! Check out Avocado Soup recipe on About.com.
8. Stuffed and baked in its own skin with crabmeat and cheese. One of my favorite decadent ways to eat avoado, which also is not difficult to make. Cut an avocado in half, combine with crabmeat or other desired shellfish, add in some mayonnaise or breadcrums or cheese, and stuff the whole mixture back into the avocado skin half. Check out Crab Stuffed Avocado recipe on Recipezaar.com and another version here: Baked Avocados With Crab Recipe on iFood.tv. Not a fan of crab? Do it with tuna!
9. In a chunky peach salsa. An unusual twist to the usual tomato-onion combo. Can be eaten with tortilla chips, served over pork chops, or whatever else you desire. Check out Avocado-Peach Salsa Recipe on MyRecipes.com.
10. Whipped up into a chilly smoothie or shake. I was skeptical about the idea of avocado shakes–until I went to a hole-in-the-wall Indonesian restaurant in Los Angeles and ordered one myself. The one I ordered had whipped cream and chocolate syrup drizzled on top, and it was simply deeevine! Check out Vietnamese Avocado Shake recipe on Recipezaar.com.
11. As the main pie filling.The best part about this recipe? It requires no baking. Check out Avocado Pie recipe on WhatsCookingAmerica.net.
12. As a homemade salad dressing. Sick of using avocados in salad? How about using it as salad dressing? Check out crabmeat salad with avocado dressing recipe at Cooks.com.
13. Rolled up into a burrito or taco. As a no-brainer, avocado slices are an absolute must to any taco or burrito you make. Add to a breakfast burrito for a super-hearty breakfast. Check out Easy Egg and Avocado Burrito recipe on AllRecipes.com.
14. With melted chocolate. Your chocolate mousse pie or frosting will be extra creamy if you add avocados. Who would have thought? Check out Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse Recipe at eHow.com.
What are your favorite ways for eating avocados? Share your recipe ideas with the community by commenting below!
PHOTO (cc): Flickr / seandrellinger
Originally published in 2010